I will be using TOMCAT as the target server for the foreseeable
future.

My concern with switching to JETTY within the development environment
is that bugs / issues with the interaction of GWT and TOMCAT may not
be seen / address as quickly as they might otherwise be.

There may also be some "psychological / political" effect --- "oh, GWT
is something that works with Jetty, it used to work with Tomcat but
they changed it"