I know I am late to this thread, but Jetty would break a ton of stuff
for me (I maintain the GWT-Maven plugin, which tweaks the embedded
Tomcat) - even so, I would say it's a good idea (a lot of advantages),
and I can adapt.

One thing in this thread that concerns me though is the general
"everyone uses noserver beyond the basics" sentiment, I don't think
that's accurate - regardless of what the embedded server is (Tomcat or
Jetty or whatever).

"About using a customized Tomcat to avoid -noserver hosted mode - I'm
not entirely sure I understand why you would want to hack a custom
version of the embedded Tomcat server rather than use your own
customizable Tomcat server with the -noserver option. "

I customize the *embedded* Tomcat because without it I *can't run
GWTTestCase based tests* - and thats HUGE in my book.  (The JUnitShell
doesn't support -noserver as far as I know? If I am incorrect on that
front please advise - how do others work with tests if they are using
noserver?)  I don't use GWTTestCase tests for my UI either (I don't
think that's helpful at all), rather I use them for my client side
model and controller, and RPC calls and such, those tests
("integration" if you will).  Also, having to debug separate processes
when using noserver is more of a pain than simply NOT having to if you
are tweaking the embedded server. I think the entire development cycle
is just faster if I don't have to re-up server side resources in a
separate process, etc.

I can basically accomplish just about any complicated JEE setup with
Tomcat, and therefore with the embedded Tomcat too.  I use the Maven
plugin to handle the details, but it can be done, and I think often is
done, whether or not you are using Maven. (Because I am using the
plugin, I don't have to hand tweak it, but I have a *source* web.xml
that gets applied, and the classpath from my maven project is used,
and so on from there.)

Here is what we do to the embedded Tomcat from the plugin, for the
record:
http://gwt-maven.googlecode.com/svn/docs/maven-googlewebtoolkit2-plugin/tomcatlite.html.

And I apologize in advance if this sounds like I am trying to pimp the
plugin, I don't mean to, just trying to answer the "why you would want
to tweak the embedded Tomcat" question, which applies no matter how
you accomplish it.