Bruce,

I might be too late in replying to this thread, but I want to phrase
my objections to what you've proposed.

A. Regarding Jetty:

I think this will be a waste of time for everyone.  Switching
underlying servers is a "no value added" task (using Six Sigma
vocabulary).

1).  Many developers are using -noserver so for them this will make no
difference.

2).  Many other developers have customized the embedded Tomcat to suit
our needs (I spent hours customizing it so that I don't have to run
with -noserver).   It will take hours to re-adjust again if you switch
underlying servers.

3). Why?  What's the benefit of switching to Jetty?  Tomcat startup is
like 5 seconds tops, which accounts for maybe 10% of the hosted mode
startup time.  You should speed up the compiler if you want to speed
up hosted mode.   I don't understand what Jetty has to offer here.
I'd be happy if you proved me wrong here, though.

B. Regarding the output directory structure:

I feel the same way about this as I do about Jetty.  I think this is a
waste of time - no real value added to GWT.  Most of us will have to
re-tweak our ant build configs which is always a waste of time.

C. Final thoughts

I'm really looking forward to seeing something of substance in the
roadmap for 1.6, because between what you've written here and what's
marked with 1_6_RC on the issue tracker, I see nothing of any value
except minor bug fixes.

Here are the top 3 features that I think would add real value to GWT:

1). A way to get meaningful Java line number from Javascript
exceptions thrown in a deployed production app (compiled with -style
OBF)

2). Out-of-process hosted mode (to enable using different browsers in
hosted mode).

3). A Declarative UI framework (one was started by Joel W. but seems
to have been abandoned).

4). Speed up compilation

Java 5 support would have been #1 on this list a year ago.  You guys
did a great job with GWT 1.5 - it included at least 2 giant leaps
(Java 5 and the JSO/DOM framework), and I hope to see another big leap
like that on the roadmap instead of features that add little value to
GWT, like Tomcat vs. Jetty.

In the end, if you decide to go forward with Jetty, I can come to
terms with that, but I will need a good reason to upgrade to 1.6, like
one of the 4 items on my list.

Thanks for your time,
Alex