Well, If they create a group, or select a group that they can modify,
then they need the checkboxes.  Having them disappear and reappear
(rather than be disabled and enabled) violates the principles of UI
design that I know and agree with.  Starting with the belief that the
UI should be stable and solid, and that controls should not move
(muscle memory being key to accomplishing things quickly, a UI that
moves targets around is a bad UI).

> Now, about your question
> which requires a question: Did you extend Column<T,C> to use check boxes in
> your cell table? If you did you can extend your implementation's api even
> further by providing it with methods to enable and disable the checkboxes.

public class UserColumn extends Column<String, Boolean> implements
FieldUpdater<String, Boolean>

My Cell is a CheckboxCell.  I don't see any routines in either class
for enabling or disabling the checkbox.  So, what do I override /
call?

Thanks,

Greg