On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 05:16:27PM +0200, Claudio Jeker wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 02:49:55PM +0000, Job Snijders wrote:
> > My recommendation to BGP implementers would be to implement all
> > three types of prefix limits. My recommendation to operators is to
> > configure both pre-policy and post-policy limits, as each limit has
> > different advantages in context of Internet routing.
>
> For BGP implementation having more then just one Loc-RIB implementing
> a post-policy check is more comples and the result will depend on
> which of the RIBs the count is done. For this reasons OpenBGPD only
> does pre-policy inbound limits and until now nobody ever complained
> about that being not good enough.

In context of Internet routing the *pre* policy limit is the most
useful one; so I'm happy openbgpd has it. This is the feature that helps
protect against full route table leaks.

On the other hand, *post* policy limits are not entirely effective
against full table route leaks. I've explained the difference at the
IETF 104 GROW session.

The *post* policy limit is most useful if there are FIB size
restrictions (for instance on a layer-3 switch with constrained ASIC);
or if there are Loc-RIB memory constraints. Since the most common
deployment of OpenBGPD seems to be on 'server-based routers' and 'route
servers', I am not surprised so far the feature hasn't come up yet.

If OpenBGPD decides not to implement post-policy limits, that is fine,
it just means that OpenBGPD cannot claim compliance with the full
Internet-Draft. However, when the draft is published at RFC at least
openbgpd can reference *exactly* what is implemented.

Kind regards,

Job