Hi all,

On Thu, 03 Sep 2026 12:29:05 +0200
Simon Tournier <[email protected]> wrote:
> However, sadly it cannot be so simple. :-) The GCD deliberation isn’t
> the expression of some mood or feelings at the deliberation time,
> instead it’s the result of a deep thought about (1) “Can I live with my
> concerns and the flaws I identify” and (2) “Aside my personal
> preferences, is the outcome of the GCD at hand a good direction for the
> project to move forward?”.

As an outside observer, I find it really odd that the GCD process is set
up in a way that allows a single person to completely torpedo a ~2 month
process.

I understand and support the want to avoid "tyranny of the majority",
but I think similarly there is also issues with granting an unchecked
veto, even if there is some filtering in place of only maintainers being
able to vote.

To me this seems like an easy way to potentially deadlock anything,
while staying de facto blameless, since you're just exercising your
rights after all. The author of the GCD has a ton of responsibility
during the process, while a process like this should be as cooperative
as possible.

If it were up to me, I'd have two non-supporting outcomes:

- A sizable minority vetos the GCD. Can be 5% of all maintainers, can be
  10%, or some other ratio. I'm not good with such numbers and the exact
  doesn't really matter for this discussion anyway.

  The point is, if every tenth or even twentieth maintainer thinks "This
  would make the project markedly worse and I genuinely don't see any
  way to change the GCD into a version that I could support with a good
  conscience", then it's probably not a viable route.

  If a single person thinks so, then that is still very unfortunate, but
  if GCD not passing would make even more people leave, then you're
  between a rock and an an even harder place. Sadly, I don't think there
  is a solution here that avoids some disappointment.

  Obviously, for such a veto to be valid, people would need to provide
  justification, because otherwise would only lead to follow-up
  questions and potential annoyance. It'd also be their responsibility
  to adequately prove, that the author hasn't addressed their concern(s)
  or that the GCD is fundamentally incapable of aligning with what they
  consider to be the project's best interests.

  Vetoing could only happen in the deliberation stage after the text is
  finalized, because until that point is reached, the GCD could still
  change and people could still change their minds about it.

  A vetoed GCD could not be resubmitted without substantial changes and
  it'd be up to the author to argue why their new attempt is different
  enough to perhaps sway those who blocked it.

- A quorum of maintainers could request changes and postpone
  deliberation.

  I guess this could happen a week or two before deliberation is
  supposed to start, people could object by saying "it needs changes
  because X Y Z" and if the quorum is reached, then the deadline is
  extended and the community focuses on negotiating these topics, with
  other conversation discouraged / moderated away.

  Votes without justification would once again be discarded and it is on
  the voters to provide adequate evidence that the author hasn't
  addressed their claims yet. Change-voters are expected to participate
  in the negotiations, otherwise they're disqualified from the next
  vote.

  Then once this new deadline nears, the vote restarts and people can
  either object again or assent (by staying silent). This could then
  potentially continue for multiple rounds (with a reasonable limit to
  stop deadlocks).

  To not drag out things for several months, the discussion rounds
  (after the first one which would be longer) could be shortened to ~2
  weeks or similar, allowing already good proposals to be voted on
  quickly, while providing multiple opportunities of tight feedback
  loops for those that need work.

  Then at the end the final vote happens, where the GCD is either
  accepted (enough voters for, no veto), withdrawn to be presented again
  later(not enough voters either way), or vetoed (veto limit is hit).

To make this process work (but frankly even if you disregard everything
from before, because it's just the ramblings of someone not involved all
that closely with the project, this might still prove useful on its
own), I think GCDs should have an additional role in the form of
moderators.

This would be someone who swears impartiality and works to keep
discussions in the right direction, warning off-topic conversations,
conducting votes. In short, this person would act as a quasi-"secretary"
for the author and allowing them to focus on only the actual
negotiations.

I hope some of these thoughts might prove helpful, if nothing else, as
one data point out of many.

Take care and thank you for reading,
Nemin

Reply via email to