Anthony Jackson wrote:
> Jon Lang wrote:
>> If I have accelerations that let me travel a parsec in a month, then I
>> have enough acceleration to go anywhere in the galaxy in 20 years.
>> Barring navigational hazards, of course: there may be a practical top
>> speed based on the density of the interstellar medium - if you go too
>> fast, even that near-vacuum will be too much to handle.
>
> Why deal with acceleration to start with?

Personal preference, for one thing.  Every FTL drive that GURPS deals
with dispenses with acceleration; I want to do something different,
with an FTL drive that's closer in principle to the grav drives from
the old Vehicles Expansions (i.e., a reactionless drive that produces
pseudo-velocity and ignores the lightspeed cap).

> At a minimum, any such drive
> should pay for the potential energy differential between two locations,
> and that will just apply a speed limit that depends on the local slope
> of space (i.e. is inversely proportional to the local gravitational
> field).

As I've indicated before: to the extent that gravity interacts with
this propulsion system, I want to use the tidal forces as a baseline.
Actual gravity produces tidal forces; acceleration-based
pseudo-gravity does not.

> At 1 kW/kg, which is a reasonable power density, escaping earth
> (potential well: 62 MJ/kg) takes 17 hours and your surface velocity is
> limited to 100m/s, escaping the sun (potential well: 860 MJ/kg) takes
> 240 hours and your velocity at 1 AU is limited to about 160 km/sec, and
> reaching a nearby star is actually quite cheap in potential energy
> terms but may still have a velocity limit.

If I'm understanding your numbers correctly, the speed limit at 100 AU
would be 16,000 km/sec, or approximately 6% of lightspeed.  At 1000
AU, this would increase to 6 times lightspeed; and at 10,000 AU, you'd
be traveling at 600 times lightspeed.  IIRC, that gets you into the
Oort Cloud.

--
Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang
_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to