Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> Jon Lang wrote:
>> IOW, it's probably proportional to the ship's kinetic energy.  I
>> wonder if they include a relativistic spike in there?  Anyway, it's a
>> moot point for the warp bubbles, where any danger is unlikely to come
>> from kinetic energy (unless there's some sort of "gravity gradient"
>> that the interstellar gas must pass through in order to enter the
>> bubble; but I'd rather not go there), and more likely to come from
>> "atmospheric pressure" type effects as whole light-seconds (-minutes?
>> -hours? -years?) worth of interstellar gas end up cohabiting a bubble
>> that's not much larger than the ship itself.  I think I should be
>> looking at "crush depth" formulae for this.
>
> Such a vessel will be wanting to turn the drive off well away from anything
> it cares about after a long voyage, too. I expect flushing your bubble will
> have a fairly distinctive sensor signature as well.

Not necessarily.  I've been positing that the bubble has to shed its
pseudovelocity before it can be turned off safely; and given the
accelerations involved, that would give plenty of time for the bubble
to shed the interstellar buildup as it decelerates.

-- 
Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang
_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to