At 07:10 21/10/2005, you wrote:

Could someone explain what "ric-rac" is? It doesn't seem to be what I understand. I have several cards of ric-rac braid I got in a sale, and would use it to sew on to a garment for decoration. It was a very popular trim in the mid 50's if I remember right - that's the 1950's! But ric-rac involving crochet is a total mystery to me. Yet another example of two countries separated by the same language?

Go here:

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa082600.htm

This article doesn't go back as far as the early 1800s, from where I saw my earliest example of this stuff, but read it and learn what Fran wants to do without crochet.

Thanks Carolyn. You learn something new all the time. Not something I'd ever come across. I don't remember it in either my facsimile of Mrs. Beeton, or Therese de Dillmont.

Suzi