De and others wrote:

> ... Giovanni Bahuet ...

That would explain that! I wonder why an Italian book used the French form
of the name.

> "Another type of ceremonial costume is Vincenzo Gonzaga's attire for
> his 1587 coronation as Duke of Mantua. A great deal of research was
> necessary to recreate a costume which is described at length in
> contemporary chronicles and depicted in paintings by Giovanni Bahuet
> (private Collection, Mantua) and Rubens (Palazzo Ducale, Mantua). Made
> of white satin, embroidered gold, silver, and pearls and topped with
> an ermine cape, it is the most lavish and costly of all the costumes
> in the exhibition."

Looks like that might be this?

http://www.sapere.it/tca/minisite/arte/nonsolomostre/images/tramaoro6.jpg

The few other portraits by Bahuet I can find online are too small for me
to get a sense of the style. But I'd be interested in knowing the date of
the book that has the b/w version of the portrait. More than once I've
seen 18th and 19th c. books show an engraving of a work and cite the work
to the original artist -- often these reproductions are very faithful, and
it's usually the face that gives it away. This makes sense before
photography; however, sometimes these b/w engravings are reprinted in much
later books, with the credit to the original artist, and no indication
that it's essentially a redrawing. Ouch.

Also, it's worth seeing if there's a list of image credits in the front or
back of the book. This is more common in more recent books, though.

--Robin