Was there a specific area of Europe that had this kind of slashing and ribbon flaps The hair style might be a clue to it's origins.
I never had to look so close to clothing before.
I'm making a Renaissance costume for myself but now I don't know what period I want to reconstruct. I have 10 yards of a wine velvet with gold arebesque scrolls all over it. I am looking for a more glamour damask or brocade for the front panel. Any suggestions? I like the puffy sleeves and the chemise showing through. I don't like the high necklines of the later periods, and am not really wanting the "melons on a platter" as some said earlier. I want to make sure the hat and hair match the period of my dress. I like the hair pulled back and the bejeweled snoods but also the French cap with the veil (the one that looks like an upturned duck bill, but with embellishments to make it richly decorated). Anyone got a picture that might inspire me and guide me to a magnificant costume.. BEFORE I cut my fabric. ----- Original Message ----- From: "otsisto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 8:00 AM
Subject: RE: [h-cost] Have you seen this painting?

-----Original Message-----
http://ca.geocities.com/absynthe30/avatars/bahuet.jpg

<<<No clues, but something doesn't feel right about the portrait; the face
seems Victorian. It may be a later copy, or perhaps if this is an older
book (pre-photography), it is an engraving intended to show the painting.
I can't tell from the online version whether it is an engraving, but that
should be obvious from the book itself. At worst it is a forgery, but that
is less likely than the alternatives. At best it is indeed c. 1540, and just
an unusual style for the time. A citation for the book you found this in,
with year, might be useful.
I can't find Jean Bahuet in my dictionary of artists, nor on a websearch,
save in 18th and 19th c. geneaologies, which might of course be referring
to some other Jean Bahuet(s).

--Robin>>>>>>
***
Probably because it is Giovanni Bahuet in which many of his paintings are in
a private collection in Mantua.
http://www1.cuny.edu/portal_ur/news/cuny_matters/march_04/gallery_center.htm
"Another type of ceremonial costume is Vincenzo Gonzaga's attire for his
1587 coronation as Duke of Mantua. A great deal of research was necessary to
recreate a costume which is described at length in contemporary chronicles
and depicted in paintings by Giovanni Bahuet (private Collection, Mantua)
and Rubens (Palazzo Ducale, Mantua). Made of white satin, embroidered gold, silver, and pearls and topped with an ermine cape, it is the most lavish and
costly of all the costumes in the exhibition."

De