The students are 9-11 yrs. old and we only have 6 45 min. classes. I don't
think I can ask them to buy a book for that.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 11:54 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] costume photos

Sharon Collier wrote:

> What about using designs that are hundreds of years old, but are in a
"new"
> publication. I teach a blackwork class to 4-5 graders (no fee, just
> part of the Fines Arts Block at my son's school)and copy images for
> them to use on their samplers, as it is easier than tracing each one
individually.

This depends on whether the new publication is a reprint or not.

A reprint is material that is published exactly as is. No editing. No
redrawing of illustrations. No selection and organization of materials for
an anthology; or a selection and organization that is so obvious as to
require no originality.

For example, every single poem by Robert Burns ever published, reprinted
exactly as first published in the exact order of first publication, is a
reprint.  If the poems are chosen by arbitrary criteria such as "best
poems," and/or organized by arbitrary criteria such as "nature poems,"
"love poems," "Scottish poems," etc., then this is a new anthology covered
by modern copyright, and copying significant portions of it is a copyright
violation.

All new material added is covered by modern copyright, such as an
introduction, footnotes, glossary, index, and/or appendices; and even,
often, the page design and layout.  All modern translations from foreign
languages are covered by copyright, just as if they had originally been
written today in English.

If you have an exact reprint of a 16th-century blackwork manual (or the
16th-century blackwork manual itself), yes, you can freely copy the images.
If you are using someone else's redrawings or rechartings of the
16th-century manual, you are violating their copyright, whether the students
are given the material to trace or whether you photocopy it for them.
Legally, they should be told to buy the textbook.

It is also legal for you to take the original 16th-century manual or an
EXACT reprint (no editing, recharting, etc.), redraw/rechart the images
yourself, and hand that work out to your students.  But you have to go back
to the original.  You can't ride on someone else's previous work.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com