Robin Netherton wrote:

Closer to the point here: I use slides of artwork in my lectures, as
many as 100 in a single lecture. Some come from books. Some come from
the artwork itself; of the latter, some of the photos were taken
under explicit agreements with the owning libraries/museums regarding
how I would use the images (e.g. research and teaching, but not
publication or distribution). My use is legal; if I disseminated the
images, it would not be. When I have used images in my published
papers, I have paid for reproduction permission.

On the other hand, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeman_Art_Library_v._Corel_Corp. -- it's not so clear that museums can always restrict your use of the artwork they own.

Of course, if you have made an agreement with them, it's ethical to honor it. But Bridgeman v. Corel indicates that such agreements aren't always necessary. Then again, if you want to maintain a good working relationship with the museums... *sigh*