Actually, instead of posting on a costuming list, what I'd recommend you to do is this:

Go to the head of your department. Ask, "What are the departmental and/or university copyright guidelines for my use of this kind of material, in this manner, in my lectures? Please give me a copy of printed guidelines. And if we don't have any, the university lawyers should develop some. I want to do the right thing ethically, and other instructors probably do too. We need the proper official and legal guidance to help us."

Because, the university _should_ have such guidelines. The thing is: When someone is sued, it is quite usual to name everyone possible in the suit, but especially, the parties with deep pockets. The university probably has deeper pockets as a business/organization, than you do as an individual. So if you're an employee, both you and they are likely to be sued if someone objects to any copyrights of theirs that you violate. Thus the university has a strong vested interest in helping you do the right thing.

Let us suppose, for the sake of argument, that you are not a university employee, but someone giving workshops for an organization like the SCA. I am here going by what I know of California law, which may differ in other states. Under California law, an employer does not have the same responsibilities for an independent contractor that they do for an employee. And if someone is named in a suit, and they are a peripheral party, they do not necessarily have to stay in it; their lawyers devise arguments as to why they should be allowed to withdraw, placing the entire burden of the suit on the other party(ies) named. In other words, in California at least, an employer sued along with an independent contractor can cut themselves loose from the suit, placing the entire burden on the contractor. (After some argument on the part of the employer's lawyers in the many letters, hearings, etc. that occur before the suit actually comes to trial, which can easily take about a year.) If an employer or organization who is faced with spending a lot of time and money defending themselves for a violation of law committed by an independent contractor of his or own free will, can get out of the situation by placing the entire legal burden on the contractor, they are likely to do so.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Sylvia Rognstad wrote:

So it sounds like I'm ok, since I work for an educational institution, huh?

Sylrog