I stand corrected... a muslin is just what she says...I looked back to confirm..
  Bambi

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  > Bambi TBNL wrote:
>> she DOES say in the instructions to cut a sloper and fit it..
>>

> This has always been a pet peeve of mine (nothing personal, Bambi). If I
> wanted to cut a sloper and fit it, I wouldn't have bought a pattern. Why
> put size markings on a pattern at all, if we're supposed to cut fabric
> and _then_ figure out how big to make it.
>
> The purpose of a pattern and of size markings is to give us a guideline
> of where to start, so we can cut with some reasonable expectation of
> what we're going to get. Then, from that we can make personal
> alterations to our individual pattern pieces.
>
> Dawn

That's also a different definition of a sloper than what I learned.
A sloper is a fitted pattern that you can use to make/design your own
patterns. It's 20th century as far as I know, relying on darts
(which can be moved, changed to seams, yadda yadda). I don't think a
sloper is useful for earlier historic clothing.

If she says to make a muslin, that makes more sense and is in line
with what most people do for historic or modern garments: once you
choose a size for your measurements, you make it up out of muslin or
some other cheap fabric to fine-tune the fit. You might just make
the bodice and sleeves unless you also need to figure the bulk of a
gathered or pleated skirt.

-Carol

Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

I am made for great things by GOD
and walk with Pride!!!!
Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 900ad
(please correct me if i have the date wrong!)