Quoting Chiara Francesca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

And normally I would agree with you Susan but Joan is talking about
physically measuring the pattern lines on the paper patterns, not reading
and depending on what is on the back of the envelope. :)

I know. But she (the teacher) measured the pattern pieces too to *prove* to me that I was wrong.

Susan

Based on personal experience, that doesn't always work.  I learned to
sew at 11 or 12.  I took Home Ec as a Freshman in High School (back in
the dim reaches of time when you could take Home Ec and learn to sew
.....).  We sere supposed to make simple A-line dresses, but I got to
make one with a waist because I'd been sewing.  I told her I wore a
10.  (I'd been making 10s for several years after all).  She took my
measurements, looked at the measurements on the envelope, measured the
pattern and said that I wore a 14.  We discussed it, and she prevailed
(because she was the teacher and She Knew!

There was enough room in that dress for me and her and half my class.  :-(

susan
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]