On Feb 21, 2008, at 4:51 AM, Melanie Schuessler wrote:

If you're planning to cover up to 1600 and not just 1500-1600, you might consider expanding your talk to include discussion of 14th and 15th-century images of saints. Robin Netherton is the expert here, but I do a little version of Jeff Foxworthy's "you might be a redneck if" that I call "they might be a saint if" in my Costume History class. Images of saints are particularly common in these centuries in Italy and the Low Countries, though they appear elsewhere as well. They tend to be wearing fanciful and/or imaginary clothing, and for some reason modern people looking for research always seem to zoom in on them.

For instance, Robin is fond of pointing out that elaborately decorated or jeweled bands along the hemline are usually confined to "queens, saints, angels and other people who don't have to worry about getting their hems dirty." ;)

O    Chris Laning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com