On Saturday 12 July 2008 2:36:49 pm Constance Britten wrote:
> Thanks for posting!
>
> I read in note 7 of the Beatson article that the "type of weave and
> patterning (if any) of the silks are not mentioned."

However, I found an abstract of the NESAT X papers on the web--which included
the paper by the team working on the Pskov find.  That abstract gives more
information than the web writeup--and it says that some of the silk trim on
the apron dress *is* indeed patterned:

"The silken trimming of the upper part of the apron consissted of several
details cut from different kinds of silk.  These were all cloths of Byzantine
type.  On silken cloth no. 1, a woven pattern has been recognized  with a
scene of the Sassanian prince Bahram Gur hunting.  In Europe, cloths with
similar designs are known by finds from Milan, Cologne, and Prague.  Within
the territory of Russia they have been found at tmountain burial grounds of
the northern Caucasus.  All of them are dated, at the latest, to the 9th
century being imitations of the earlier Sassanian textiles."

To find the abstract, go here:

http://ctr.hum.ku.dk/nesat/abstracts/

and click on the link "Abstracts PDF."  The PDF is a long document because it
includes an abstract for all the NESAT X papers.  The abstract on the Pskov
paper can be found on the last two pages of that document.

--

Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny."--Edmund Burke