On Tuesday 15 July 2008 3:17:19 pm Anne wrote:
> Catherine Olanich Raymond wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 July 2008 5:24:51 pm Anne wrote:
[snip].

> > Yes, the inset picture does seem to show a third brooch in the center.
> > So far as I know, no such brooch was found in the grave, but we don't
> > have full data on the find.  It does show a narrow apron worn in front
> > and positioned between the tortoise brooches, which I'm skeptical about,
> > since that approach would also hide the silk trim on the apron dress.
>
> I had interpreted it as the centre section of the apron dress, with a
> big pleat under each brooch making that part stand out in front, rather
> than an additional separate piece of fabric.  If the pleat is big enough
> that the fabric underneath meets at the centre front, then a brooch at
> the centre could hold all those layers together.  But it does seem odd
> to indicate an extra brooch unless there was some evidence.

Peter Beatson also interpreted the drawing as showing a separate apron.  But
I've looked at the drawing again and you could well be right; it is ambiguous
and could just be a large pleat created by pinning part of the excess fabric
through the brooches.

I really, really want to see the full write up in NESAT X.

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny."--Edmund Burke