On Saturday 12 July 2008 3:23:51 pm Gytha Stonegrinder wrote:
> Right now I'm resorting to basting because I don't own large turtle
> brooches... but a friend does so that will be the next thing... along with
> photos. Turtle brooches are so large and heavy that I'm thinking they will
> hold the folds down.

 I have tried a similar "pleat" trick with an apron dress I've made that's not
based on the Pskov find, but is essentially still a large tube on straps. My
experience is that such a pleat *won't* stay unless it's pinned or
basted--the weight of the brooches isn't enough to hold the pleats when one
moves.   That's why I was curious to see what you've done.

Basting should certainly work... but if it was the way the dress was worn,
you'd expect there to be holes, like the holes the researchers found that
they believe indicate where the loops originally were (the loops in the find
were actually found in the brooches, and not on the dress).

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny."--Edmund Burke