From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Becky Rautine
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 10:29 PM
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Subject: [h-cost] Question about a portrait

This is a portrait I haven't seen before... of Lady Jane Grey.
http://www.bitterwisdom.com/ladyjanegrey/life/panel-2-lady-jane-grey.jpg
I found this and like the doublet style. Can anyone tell me what the white
things are on the shoulders? What can you tell me about the making of this
gown?
Sincerely,
Rebecca Rautine

> From: zearti...@hotmail.com
> To: h-cost...@indra.com
> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 00:31:00 -0400
> Subject: [h-cost] FW: Black beads Princess Elizabeth image
>

> Along this same line.... how does the girdle end? It doesn't show in the
portraits I have seen.. I never noticed it wasn't shown in the images
before.
> I made the little urn shapes, the beads and all the part that hangs
> down in front. I haven't gotten to the pearls yet, but they are sorted
> and waiting... what is the concensus of how it should end???
> Sincerely,
> Rebecca Rautine
>

> From: zearti...@hotmail.com
> To: h-cost...@indra.com
> Subject: Black beads Princess Elizabeth image
> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 00:28:28 -0400
>

> After all the discussion about the black beads in other portraits, I see
the black squares in the Princess ELizabeth portrait as the black with a
white spot like someone said. Could these be diamonds instead of onyx or
some other black stones?The pearls are black here, but maybe the others are.
>  One site that reproduces Renaissance jewelry has this as a white diamond
instead of the black square on the necklace part. I'm making this complete
outfit for my daughter. Are these suppose to be white diamonds instead of
the black squares? I never thought about it until the recent eye-opening
research on black pearls in paintings.