From: Claire Clarke <angha...@adam.com.au>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] question on corset patterns
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Date: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 5:00 PM

Message: 8
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:56:59 -0600
From: Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costu...@radiks.net>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>

A note on fitting corset muslins:

A hint I got several years ago - don't remember from where - was to
create two strips out of heavy material - old jeans will do in a
pinch.  Make them at least double thickness, and put a narrow bone of
some sort along the edge fold.  Then put in grommets about every
inch.  Make them longer than you think you'll need for any possible
corset style you might ever make.  These can then be basted into a
muslin so you can lace it up properly to check the fit, without
having to put in grommets, try to pin it to fit (not happening), or
making slits that then rip out after one fitting.  Once you have the
fit, remove them and use them for the next corset muslin.

These have made corset making much easier!!

Sandy

This is so useful, and it works well for other things that will be laced
too, like 14th/15th century fitted gowns. Pinning stuff closed just doesn't
give you a good impression of how it is working. I use an old gown opening
that I cut out of a dress I was adjusting, from the days before I started
doing hand sewn lacing holes.

Claire