My experience has been that making a corset with gores is actually a VERY
good way to fit it, especially when fitting someone with a challenging
shape (i.e. very round, wide hips but hardly any bust, etc).  I have
primarily used the "Laughing Moon Victorian Underwear corset--the
Silverado", which comes with a selection of 4 possible bust gores
(although I have taken the liberty of modifying the pattern to accomodate
hip gores if more necessary) .  Gores are small and it makes the pattern
a bit more labor intensive, so for someone who is inexperienced it can be
dfificult.  I myself, have never had a problem with using hte gores, I
just go slowly.  The pattern instructions included, while generally good,
don't really address how to place the boning when using various sizes of
gores, but I figured it out myself and have had good success.

The Laughing Moon one is the only corset pattern I"ve used with gores,
but since I started with fantasy corsets, I haven't used many historical
patterns,i nstead I've developed my own and modified others for myself.
I do teach classes in making a corset, and the first thing we do is
measure and fit to develop a correctly sized pattern for that person,
then they make a permanent pattern.

I think your objective sounds fantastic.

Yours in cosutming, Lis aA