Beteena,

I've read a fair number of LJ posts. I still think both LJ and other blog formats work like this:

One person (or a group of people who have assembled for the long term specifically to post the blog entries) posts on a regular and/or frequent basis. The post is like a short magazine article or essay.

Then, other people comment on the post. Many of the comments are on the "Great work!" or "I agree!" lines. Some are substantive, but even so, not usually more than a paragraph or two long.

I would argue that this is a different format from a discussion group like h-costume, where anyone can broach any subject at any time, and it is easy for multiple people to engage in each discussion. If in a blog format, one person is responding to another's blog on his/her own blog, and then people have to respond to that post, it's just a lot harder for this to be a general discussion where everyone can tell what is going on.

That does not mean I am "attacking" LiveJournal. I'm saying that a blog format, where one person provides most of the content and others respond to it, is different from a more general discussion group. I am also not against hanging out in a community for the sake of doing so. It's just that I personally am not interested in doing that.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com