On 8/6/2011 5:26 PM, Lavolta Press wrote:
Beteena,

I've read a fair number of LJ posts. I still think both LJ and other
blog formats work like this:

One person (or a group of people who have assembled for the long term
specifically to post the blog entries) posts on a regular and/or
frequent basis. The post is like a short magazine article or essay.

Then, other people comment on the post. Many of the comments are on the
"Great work!" or "I agree!" lines. Some are substantive, but even so,
not usually more than a paragraph or two long.

I would argue that this is a different format from a discussion group
like h-costume, where anyone can broach any subject at any time, and it
is easy for multiple people to engage in each discussion. If in a blog
format, one person is responding to another's blog on his/her own blog,
and then people have to respond to that post, it's just a lot harder for
this to be a general discussion where everyone can tell what is going on.

Oh, very much so. Here, anybody can start a discussion about anything. There, "you" have to respond to what "I" say.

Each of the venues, Facebook, Journaling sites, Blogging sites and even Discussion Boards have their own intended purpose and methods of interacting. I suspect it's just the summer heat and a temporary lull in the lists. It happens to all lists from time to time.

And as somebody, Kimiko?, mentioned, Costume College was last weekend. Folks are probably recovering!

Susan

--
Susan Farmer
sfar...@goldsword.com