I used to buy Coats & Clark cotton poly by preference, but it became so fragile awhile back that I switched to Gutermann poly. I recently bought some Gutermann all cotton and was surprised to find I like it less than their poly--the poly is smoother. I always match colors very carefully--I want the inside of garments to look as good as the outside. I have dozens of partial spools (I just sorted them all out by color). When a spool gets really low I use it up as hand-basting thread.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books of historic clothing patterns
www.lavoltapress.com