On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 09:27:22PM -0600, Dave Blanchard wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi David,

> This patch for 'st' causes CTRL+HOME to send the ANSI sequence \033[J and
> \033[1;5H , which signals the user program  to scroll to the top of the
> document, same as in Xterm.
>
> I have absolutely no idea what the 'appkey' and 'appcursor' fields do, as
> there are almost no comments anywhere to be found in the source code, and I
> haven't yet reverse engineered the code enough to figure out what the hell
> it's actually doing with those values. The provided values seem to work fine,
> though they may need to be changed if they're wrong.

It makes sense to me to add \033[1;5H. I'm not sure if \033[J is correct, it
seems duplicate with XK_Home and XK_End also.  Please test it properly.

On a note the cursor keys in st don't seem consistent either with xterm.

> On that note, regrettably it will be necessary for me to fork this project,
> if for no other reason than to properly comment it, so that its functionality
> can be understood and easily modified. It's a shame that such a nice little
> program is marred by its total lack of commentation, along with poorly chosen
> function and variable names. The use of tabs in the source code isn't
> particularly desirable either, IMO.

Negative bikeshed comments and exagerations ("total lack of comments") don't
help in making the project better.

> Overall, I like the 'suckless' initiative. I'm sick of all the bloat in the
> Linux world. My distro is built to be light weight, simple, and fast. 'st' is
> proving to be a nice addition, and a good starting point for building
> something even better. Looking forward to integrating more of your code into
> my system as I spend more time exploring your different projects, and the
> useful patches you've provided. Thanks for your work.
>
> --
> Dave Blanchard <d...@killthe.net>

I'd happily apply a general patch which improves in making the appkey and
cursorkey sequences more consistent.

Thanks,

--
Kind regards,