Quoting john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I use SUSE on all my computers.  SUSE has installed on all of them with no
> problem except for one.  On this computer there is a problem with the
> motherboard and which hard disk decides to boot up first.
>
> Go into the BIOS and look to see if you modify which IDE port can be booted.

Yes i can select which drive to boot. Its an award bios BTW

> If you can change which IDE port can boot and you have more than one hard
> disk
> here in may lie the problem.
>
> As it is a new computer just use one hard disk to start with.

Hmm i need the rest in as i have windows 2000,xp on other sata drives.

BTW grub is on the ide port.

> Check that the hard disk you are using has a primary partition on it and it
> is
> active.
> Check in the BIOS that that it is set to boot up from the Hard disk IDE port
>
> first.
>
> Other hard disks can be added after the SUSE is up and running

Unfortunately i need the pc working yesterday and so i cant really start from
scratch.

> This should hopefully sort out the problem.
>
> Note SUSE 11 is a lot faster than 10.3 so it is worth waiting for the 11.

Okay thats good to know.

I think i will try different hard drives in the bios and see if suse grub comes
up. That will confirm if its on the wrong drive.

Thanks

Martin N