On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:12:49 +0100
"Peter Salisbury" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2008/10/15 john lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:17:02 +0100
> > "Peter Salisbury" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >> It is in Debian. The Debian system has a transition state which is
> >> to chain-load grub2 from grub1 by adding an entry to the original
> >> menu.lst. It then invites you to run
> >> /usr/sbin/upgrade-from-grub-legacy to make the grub2 setup 'live'
> >> once you're happy with it.
> >
> > Hi Peter
> >
> > what variant of Debian are you using that currently uses grub2, I
> > have seen recent updates in Sid but I am still on "Grub
> > Legacy" (ver 1.97*)
>
> Sid, using the package grub-pc. I had to re-install recently (hint:
> don't use e2fsck on a mounted volume, especially not when it's too
> late to think straight!) and thought I'd try to be thoroughly modern.

I had to fsck this drive recently (following the problems i had with
the m/b) and the questions it asked were indeed not something to
haphazardly click OK to. (I did anyway and so far don't have any
problems but I do have a backup of /home which is about the only data
on the drive I don't want to lose)

> > Is there any benefit to using grub2?
>
> Apparently it uses a completely new code base which should enable it
> to cope better with modern and future hardware. In Debian it uses a
> new method for creating the config file, with an /etc/grub.d directory
> similar to udev.d and others. This is scanned when you do an

I discovered that I now have an /etc/grub.d but all it contains is a
script for memtest86 at present

> update-grub to build the config file from little snippets. It
> presumably makes package maintainers' lives easier but it means grub
> needs more of the file system to be intact and accessible when trying
> to recover things. It also has a lot of modules in /boot/grub which
> feels like a good thing but makes the directory rather full:
>
> # ls /boot/grub | wc
>      94      95    1710
>
> There are also compatible packages like grub2-splashimages which can
> make the boot screen very easy on the eye - once you work out how to
> get update-grub to put the right image into grub.cfg (ln -s the image
> into /boot/grub)
>
> I particularly like /usr/share/images/grub/Lake_mapourika_NZ.tga

I want to see the messages scrolling past on the rare occasions I
reboot, gives me a feeling of confidence that things are going right.
Boot splashimages are tooo windows-like for me.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop