2008/10/15 john lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:17:02 +0100
> "Peter Salisbury" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> It is in Debian. The Debian system has a transition state which is to
>> chain-load grub2 from grub1 by adding an entry to the original
>> menu.lst. It then invites you to run
>> /usr/sbin/upgrade-from-grub-legacy to make the grub2 setup 'live' once
>> you're happy with it.
>
> Hi Peter
>
> what variant of Debian are you using that currently uses grub2, I have
> seen recent updates in Sid but I am still on "Grub Legacy" (ver 1.97*)

Sid, using the package grub-pc. I had to re-install recently (hint:
don't use e2fsck on a mounted volume, especially not when it's too
late to think straight!) and thought I'd try to be thoroughly modern.

> Is there any benefit to using grub2?

Apparently it uses a completely new code base which should enable it
to cope better with modern and future hardware. In Debian it uses a
new method for creating the config file, with an /etc/grub.d directory
similar to udev.d and others. This is scanned when you do an
update-grub to build the config file from little snippets. It
presumably makes package maintainers' lives easier but it means grub
needs more of the file system to be intact and accessible when trying
to recover things. It also has a lot of modules in /boot/grub which
feels like a good thing but makes the directory rather full:

# ls /boot/grub | wc
     94      95    1710

There are also compatible packages like grub2-splashimages which can
make the boot screen very easy on the eye - once you work out how to
get update-grub to put the right image into grub.cfg (ln -s the image
into /boot/grub)

I particularly like /usr/share/images/grub/Lake_mapourika_NZ.tga

HTH, Peter