I have been considering what new motherboard + processor to get that
will work with Linux without any problems. I like the look of this
one, MSI FM2-A75MA-E35:

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A75MA-E35.html

It has a VGA socket and a sufficient number of USB sockets. It
appears to come with something called Winki 3, "a free Linux-based
O/S which is based on the Linux core". Has anyone any experience of
using that? Is it safe to assume that the board would work with
Debian?

One possible problem that I have noticed is that I currently have a
board that uses a single 20-pin ATX connector. The FM2-A75MA-E35
requires a 24-pin connector and a separate 4-pin 12v CPU power
connector. I will have to investigate whether my PSU has a 4-pin
connector. Maplin have an 20 to 24-pin adaptor, and for that to
work, no extra voltages would be required. So why was the change
from 20-pin connectors made and would I be better advised to get a
new case or PSU?

The web page also gives links for a number of drivers. Are boards
supplied with the latest drivers or would I have to install these,
something I have no idea of how to do?

I would be grateful for any advice. I have no doubt there are some
on this mailing list who know far more about this sort ot thing
than I do!

Peter Alefounder.