On 11/09/13 16:07, Paul Stimpson wrote:
Hi Peter,

On 11/09/13 12:21, Peter Alefounder wrote:
  I have been considering what new motherboard + processor to get that
will work with Linux without any problems. I like the look of this
one, MSI FM2-A75MA-E35:
  http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A75MA-E35.html

There days, with the notable exception of the wifi on some laptops and horrid chipsets like those from SiS, I don't worry about the "will it work" question any more. I've not installed on any machine in the last 3 years that was a total brick. All my recent machines have been Intel chipsets, which were very well supported.

As I wrote in previous thread, there should be no problem with any motherboard, but I will go to Intel platform - all because of AMD graphics card driver. You are going to use integrated GPU and I am sure that Intel HD Graphics will be much less problematic. Check this link http://askubuntu.com/questions/151445/which-ati-amd-or-intel-or-nvidia-graphics-for-unity?rq=1

  It has a VGA socket and a sufficient number of USB sockets. It
appears to come with something called Winki 3, "a free Linux-based
O/S which is based on the Linux core". Has anyone any experience of
using that? Is it safe to assume that the board would work with
Debian?
  One possible problem that I have noticed is that I currently have a
board that uses a single 20-pin ATX connector. The FM2-A75MA-E35
requires a 24-pin connector and a separate 4-pin 12v CPU power
connector. I will have to investigate whether my PSU has a 4-pin
connector. Maplin have an 20 to 24-pin adaptor, and for that to
work, no extra voltages would be required. So why was the change
from 20-pin connectors made and would I be better advised to get a
new case or PSU?e

I generally reckon on 3-5 years' life for a PSU. If your PSU is older than 3 years then I would pension it off or, more likely, get a new case so my new toy is shiny too. If your PSU is that age, it may not have SATA power connectors for newer drives either. Has the old PSU got enough watts for the stuff you intend to put into the machine? If the machine has legacy PATA (IDE) drives then they are probably towards the end of their service life too and you would get better performance, and freedom from the worry the drives are going conk out on you, from going to modern SATA drives.

New processors - and in case of upgrade also graphics cards - are using mostly 12V line, while old components used 5V line. As you had old Athlon configuration and you don't have 24pin connector your PSU probably is not good for modern setup. Check cheap FSP 300W PSU units (I don't remember exact model number, check maximum power on +12V line) or go to XFX 450W/550W Pro PSU - very good, reliable and quiet power supplies - I have three of them and no problems at all.

The web page also gives links for a number of drivers. Are boards
supplied with the latest drivers or would I have to install these,
something I have no idea of how to do?

It's been my experience with Ubuntu that almost every driver is already rolled into it so it should just be a matter of install-and-go.

You usually don't need any drivers for motherboard. Extra drivers are required mostly for graphics cards and some wireless adapters, but in Ubuntu there is easy application that informs you about available drivers

I gave up building new machines a while back. I found that I just couldn't replace the board, RAM, drives, graphics card and PSU for less than I could buy a well-chosen new machine. Have you looked at the Dell Outlet Store (go to Dell.co.uk, go down to the navigation box towards the bottom of the page and you will find the link at the bottom of the first column). They sell production-failure and warranty-return machines there that have been fixed and retested. You only get a 3 month warranty but the price is very good and I'm of the opinion that if it lasts past the first month, it's a good machine and it's generally not going to self-destruct. I would see how much you could get an equivalent or better brand-new machine in the outlet for.

What is your intended use for the machine? I'm into 3D rendered games and handling video. The highest performance CPU I could find that would fit in that board was a dual core. For my usage, I would consider it a little underpowered.

Bests,
Paul.

At the end, if you are Debian user, but you don't feel very safe with starting with new Debian from scratch, I am suggesting that you should try Ubuntu (or K/X/Lubuntu) - it is Debian based, have very good support and work just out of the box while Debian needs much more configuration.