Hi,

>> > Did you observe anything special about the CPU usage ? Was it lower
>> > than with 1.3 ? If so, it would indicate some additional delay somewhere.
>> > If it was higher, it could indicate that the Transfer-encoding parser
>> > takes too many cycles but my preliminary tests proved it to be quite
>> > efficient.
>>
>> I did not notice anything special about CPU usage. It seems to be
>> around 2-4% with both versions. When checking munin-graphs, this
>> morning I did however notice that the counter "connection resets
>> received"  from "netstat -s" was increasing a lot more with 1.4.
>>
>> This led me to look at the log more closely, and there seems to be a
>> lot new errors that looks something like this:
>> w.x.y.z:4004 [15/Mar/2010:09:50:51.190] fe_xxx be_yyy/upload-srvX
>> 0/0/0/-1/62 502 391 - PR-- 9/6/6/3/0 0/0 "PUT /dav/filename.ext
>> HTTP/1.1"
>
> Interesting ! It looks like haproxy has aborted because the server
> returned an invalid response. You can check that using socat on the
> stats socket. For instance :
>
>   echo "show errors" | socat stdio unix-connect:/var/run/haproxy.stat
>
> If you don't get anything, then it's something else :-/

Unfortunately I the "show errors" returned empty, so I guess it was
something else. The good news is that I gave haproxy 1.4.2 a try today
and the 502/PR error with PUT/TE:chunked requests have now vanished.
So thanks for solving this. I'm not sure which one of the bugs I was
hitting but it does not really matter since it now seems to be fixed.

So now when I got a working haproxy 1.4, I continued to try out the
"option http-server-close" but I hit a problem with our stunnel
(patched with stunnel-4.22-xforwarded-for.diff) instances. It does not
support keep-alive, so only the first HTTP request in a
keepalive-session gets the X-Forwarded-For header added (insert Homer
"doh!" here :). When giving it some thought, I guess this is the
expected behaviour for what stunnel actually is supposed to do. So,
for now I'll stick with "option httpclose" for a while longer...

Keep up the good work!

Best regards
Erik

--