Throw me in a forth on this one. I use nginx 0.8.34 for gzip compression, RAM caching of static content and SSL offload. All very simple to configure and low overheads. All requests HTTP and HTTPs go to Nginx and are then forwarded to HAproxy 1.4.2 as HTTP.
Regards,

Duncan

Harvey Yau wrote:
I can third this - nginx + haproxy works extremely well. I wish haproxy supported SSL directly. I realize it's not within the design goals of haproxy, but the need for this is out there. Good thing nginx + haproxy works well enough.

-- Harvey