On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Szakáts Viktor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Macports is one (Linux-like) 3rd party solution. [ I try to
> not use it, as it adds up a difficult to replicate component
> to an otherwise clean system. You need to do sudo/admin, which
> I also try to avoid. ]

Do you know nay other way to have gd, openssl and other developers libs?

> No one said otherwise. The question is: why we want to push
> this for hbrun, hbtest and hbmk default.

This comes from
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exclusion_of_Static_Libraries

Packages including libraries should exclude static libs as far as
possible (eg by configuring with --disable-static). Static libraries
should only be included in exceptional circumstances. Applications
linking against libraries should as far as possible link against
shared libraries not static versions.
<

True static almost doesn't exist in Linux anymore.
Try to run ldd <executable> and you'll see how many dependences it has
so for me having shared as default is normal.
To avoid it use -static.

best regards,
Lorenzo