Hi Lost,

- How to install two Harbour versions in parallel with installation technique?

You can use HB_INSTALL_PREFIX to specify a local path.

All my questions were aimed towards a binary distribution.
F.e. our current 1.0.1 for OSX package on sf.net download
page.

[ I know these can be controlled when building from source
and running 'make install', this is exactly how it's working
here locally on OS X, Linux and Windows. ]

- How to use Harbour without admin/sudo rights with installation technique?
(suppose I'm on someone else's PC, or I'd like to ship a software
which includes Harbour, but I wouldn't like to ask for an admin pw
on installation)

Please assume you installed to $HOME/hbdevel, and that you are currently
in the root Harbour directory (where make_gnu.sh is)

(all of the following is a single line)

HB_INSTALL_PREFIX="$HOME/hbdevel" ./make_gnu.sh install

Then, to use the hb* tools, you can for example:

cd tests
LD_RUN_PATH="$HOME/hbdevel/lib" $HOME/hbdevel/bin/hbmk adirtest && ./ adirtest

No need for admin rights. I hope the idea is clear...

See above (it's about moving binary builds).

For the rest: why would I have to modify an environment
to run a simple executable?

It's very easy to avoid and very unnatural, so why
make it so complicated and not work "out of the box"?

- How to move around a Harbour devl environment with installation technique?
(say, onto an external disk or USB drive, or to a backup disk)

Adjust LD_RUN_PATH accordingly.

Pls see above. hbmk has some location information hard-wired
at 'make install' time, and moving around the installation will
break these settings (if there was an 'install time' at all).
So it would only work if hbmk (in -shared mode) would be modified
and/or additional envvars being set (quasi "reinstalled").

Common sense tells that if there are any absolute paths hard-wired
in an installation (either at 'make install' time, or binary
installation time, if there is one), that installation will
have problems when moved away from it's original location.

Maybe this is unorthodox on Linux, but on other systems,
such free moving around is accepted and in fact may cause
very nice flexibility in many areas. See "PortableFirefox"
on Windows, or a lot of standalone tools (procexp), or many
other projects (Clipper, eclipse, mingw, git, gs, inkscape,
nvu, mercurial, svn), or most OSX apps for that matter.
Or Harbour on Windows. So, IMO it's many times a plus if
a package doesn't rely on specific locations in order to be
usable. On OSX and Windows it's very easy to recognize
such packages because they don't have an installer, you
can unzip/copy them wherever you want and they'll just work.

Brgds,