On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Szak�ts Viktor wrote:

Hi Viktor,

> Just to give a quick idea of the problem and one solution,
> I've just downloaded Google Earth for Linux, and after I've
> found out that the file GoogleEarthLinux.bin is a really a
> script which needs to be started from terminal (guess
> whether your mom / dad / gf / wife / sister could find this
> out).

It's not necessary to start it in terminal. It's enough to set
executable attribute for GoogleEarthLinux.bin (right mouse click,
preferences, mark executable box, then left mouse click will execute
the file).
By default all files downloaded by browser does not have such attribute
for rather clear security reasons.

> Anyhow, it turns out - miracle - that there is about
> 50MB worth of _static libs inside_, plus the executable.

There is no even single static library or binary in GoogleEarthLinux.bin.
All libraries and executable files are linked dynamically.
So it's rather bad example ;-)

> Is Google wrong?

Wrong with what?
They created package which can be installed by any user in his
home directory and have a copy of all system shared libraries
used by this application directly or indirectly by libraries
compiled with some extended support. They did not even rebuilt
used libraries without support for unnecessary stuff.
Just simply they put together everything what ldd shows as dependencies
and is not part of linux kernel in some directory then packed it using
tar/bzip2 and encapsulated in shell scripts (in similar way as it was
done by mpkg_tgz.sh before we disabled it due to problem with sed used
as extractor) using dedicated tool for packing and encapsulation
called Makeself.
Is it good? The question is for whom. Personally I do no like that
I will have copy of 40MB shared libraries in each user directory
and I'd prefer more system friendly installation which will use my
original libraries. The above looks for me like low cost fast solution.