Jae,
  My response is to ask you questions and others might have answers. I
suppose others who have answers would also be interested in your sketch
of the type of clinical setting you where you would be setting up these
services including Osirix.

1. Vista is a server/client architecture with builtin RPC remote procedure
calls  to tie clients such as CPRS to the Vista server.
  Does this alter your perceived need for SMB?

2.   What are the other applications that you would want to access using
SMB and would you want Vista and SMB operating on the same server machine?

3. Is Osirix applic. best to run on a selected powerful workstation, even
if its data sets might reside on the filesystem of a Vista server?

5. Is there an overriding reason why you want MacOSX for the Vista server
(considering  that there is a free license of open source M language to
run Vista on Linux OS )?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sanchez-gtm

4. Could you describe the medical practice  setting that you are planning
or dreaming about in very general features?.   That's what makes every
newbie especially interesting.

Rusty Maynard