Someone was looking at the right thing..   Check your:
       ~/.vnc/xstartup

I tend to use a low-resource use window manager.. (since i am going over
ISDN and over VPN).

#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

And my .Xresources does not exist since I am simple in my usage of it..

Mark