I am glad you asked that question.  The short answer is "No."

The VA is developing its own set of routines.  Mike Clayton is at the helm
and says it will be rolled out as soon as QA is finished and the necessary
permissions are granted (he did get an official routine prefix/namespace
name).  Some VA sites are running it as beta and are very pleased with the
results.

My understanding is that the mapper developed by the VA would be available
under FOIA... can anyone confirm that?  Are all VistA patches available
under FOIA?

InterSystems has several non-VA customers who run VistA so a utility was
created to support any Cache-FileMan shop that wants SQL and objects for
FileMan files.  There is no additional cost for the utility.

The VA and InterSystems FileMan SQL utilities are similar but they handle
certain phenomena differently.  In general, users who want readonly access
could use either tool and get everything they need.  And, it's standard,
ANSI SQL so all the SQL commands you know for running queries, creating
users and granting access work as you would expect.

One vendor optimization I would like to point out (at the risk of straying
out-of-bounds) to save effort when writing queries is "implicit join"
syntax:  Caché SQL supports an Implicit Join syntax, represented by the “—>”
operator, which simplifies the SQL for certain types of joins. You can use
the —> operator whenever a table has a reference column, that is, a column
containing the ID values of another table — the referenced table. The —>
operator can be used to refer to properties within the referenced table.
You can read more about this and see an example at the following link:

http://platinum.intersystems.com/csp/docbook/DocBook.UI.Page.cls?KEY=GSQL_sp
ecialfeatures

Thank you very much,
Renee Cannon