The problem with the repair was that many even within the department disagreed
with the project entirely.  Rebulking the current sitting levees (not a
redesign, a reset & repair) was something that even those within the USMS had
some oppossition to.. the current weight and buttressing of the sitting levees
was creating infrastructure problems (or at least they contended) and the
continual enhancement of them was causing the nearby land area to "sink" even
more then doing nothing; so, the Army Corp of Engineers proposed that such
projects were "fools errands" and they argued that they were not the solution,
they were the problem.. they contended that spillways and secondary runoffs
were the most viable solution.

Now, this doesn't mean that there assessment was right.  But a lot of people on
both sides did by into it, and -some- of the secondary spillway money was
approved (though it won't see any impact until about 2007) so the largest
amount spent in almost 30 years went to reconstructing secondary spillways.

At the same time, efforts to rebuttress the current levees did diminish - in
proposal, with the cuts taking direct impact in the FY 2006 budget.

Note that here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4200/is_20050606/ai_n14657367

Now, the reality is, New Orleans was hit with basically a Category THREE
hurricane.  Not a FIVE.  While some of Mississippi, etc. was hit with a higher
storm, the current estimated storm values for New Orleans is around 122 MPH, or
a Category 3.  In an area where the entire city is constructing itself closer
and closer to the levees, and where they have enacted continual excavation
projects, they have lowered their relative land-level in comparison to
surrounding land area as well as to the ocean.  The entire city sits below the
ocean, below the river, and below the lake.

Was the ACE proposal the right one?  Who knows.  But the patchwork proposals,
which were investigated several times for trouble with graft (millions of
dollars up and dissappeared, according to CBO audits) and with the proposals
moving the other way, the upkeep proposals were diminished.

Was this the right strategy?  I would agree with you that it was not.  However,
would even the basic upkeep strategies made any difference?  I would argue no,
they would make no difference at all.  And I would argue if Katrina had not
turned eastward, and full brunt had hit New Orleans, it wouldn't have mattered
at all.

In 1980, there were big complaints about how USGS funding went down in 78 & 79
before Mt. St. Helens erupted.  Well, I know it's cruel, but if you built your
house on a Volcano and thought the government could save you, you were a fool.
People in Pompei learned that one.  Nothing any administration could do would
raise the relative sea level of New Orleans.  And New Orleans and the State of
Louisiana had used their federal block grants for a few hundred million extra
to redo the Super Dome.

So, did both the feds & the state make a mistake?  Yes.  Did that mistake make
any substantial difference in the outcome?  I don't think so.... nothing anyone
was going to do would change the layout of the city, where it was built, how it
was built, nor the nature of the system in place.

Now we'll see.

Last night, when we last heard from my brother, he had told us that they
project a 10 month cleanup from pumping.  Even if none of the Levees broke
(which, BTW, the break in the Ponchatrain levee is less then they had
anticipated by a great deal) the pumping from the waves of water in would have
still been a multi-month project, regardless of any fresh water intake or not.