What would be really nice is to have a drive that can be turned on my software....so that when it's time for a scheduled backup, the software turns on the drive, waits for it to be ready, and then does the backup task...then finally powers the drive down.

Why don't have have this already?

Al wrote:
FORC5 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

FWIW I use System Guardian ( Standby Disk )
IMO is nothing finer.
fp

I'm glad it works for you.
I see a point of weakness with this method. Both drives are hot all the
time. A errant power supply (power spike/lightening/fire
sprinklers/spilled cup-o-joe/...) could take out both drives.

I used to do something similar with Partition Magic, and a second drive
with it's own power switch. Turn on the second drive power switch, boot
from a floppy with PM and copy the drive. May still be vulnerable to
lightening. But the backup drive isn't hot all the time. Then I
discovered and used removable drive racks; which allowed moving
the backup to a safe location.

Always liked the full working copy instead of a restore routine.

Not to suggest it would work for T, as he was look'n for scheduled backups.