On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Thane Sherrington wrote:

This sounds RAID like but without the continuous backup of RAID, or are you backing up to an external drive? In my case, I was more concerned about data backups that can be easily taken offsite, so CD or DVD is the best choice (since I can't get people to spring for $1200 tape drives.) But after reading your comments and Brian's, I'm thinking they need a two fold system - weekly or daily system backups for catastrophic failure, and daily data backups. I had read some good things about Retrospect, and Genie Backup Manager (http://www.genie-soft.com/products/gbmpro/default.html) - any one have any comments on either of these?

If you're mostly worried about data backup and want a cheapo solution, I can recommend the Maxtor One Touch system. it's an External drive with a button. Once configured, that button launches a backup of your choice setup through the maxtor software. It's not scheduled (You have to press the button), but it works quite well for a home user.

We have users who have it sitting on their desk next to their laptop. When they get home the plug in laptop and hit the button to back everything up. When they're done working for the night, instead of powering down, they hit the backup button.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

Christopher Fisk
--
 Fry: That clover helped my rat-fink brother steal my dream of going into
   space. Now I'll never get there.