LOL, my father is just entering his 60's and is
forever asking me the same kind
of questions. He's always worried about some event in
the firewall log or the
potential to have a virus that can't be detected, yet
only uses his machine a
few hours a month. In other words he frets over the
details without
understanding the big picture.

Bottom line Duncan is you, like my father, need to
start Googling for some of
these answers because the questions are so far out. If
you both did this I think
fewer of these questions would surface because you'd
develop solid base
knowledge and get a feel for what's what.

In other words if you are a paranoid control freak
then you need to READ MORE
not ask more questions of the rest of us because it
sinks in better when you
learn breadth of the material rather than asking
pin-point questions in a vacuum.

DHSinclair wrote:
> Ben,
> I suppose it took me 24hr of stewing on what you
replied; rather than
> just saying, "No, I do not know  how you can remove
those items."
> Truly, perhaps I can not remove them. Fine. I was
simply asking if it is
> possible.
>
> At first (2/3) I gave up to your personal label for
my PC behavior.
> 24hrs later I responded again. If you took it as
nasty, I apologize. I
> did not intend to be nasty.  On our List we do get
to agree to
> disagree.  This may be one of those times.  I may be
paranoid, but with
> the PCs I build with my money, I am an unapologetic
control freak.
> Hope this helps.
> Best,
> Duncan
>
> At 11:35 02/05/2008 -0500, you wrote:
>> Why, on 2/3 did you send a much nicer message, and
then on 2/4 get
>> nasty with me?
>>
>> DHSinclair wrote:
>>> Ben,
>>> I do appreciate your bold position. I even
acknowledge that you have
>>> a greater grasp on this OS business. Perhaps I am
not so paranoid,
>>> but rather I am very curious about what goes on
with my machines.
>>> Yes, based on my very limited understanding of the
OS I chose to use,
>>> except for many years of using its' parent in a
commercial space.
>>> I do build my machines to do what I wish for them
to do.  If I am
>>> wrong, so be it.  But, when I find stuff on a
given machine that I
>>> believe I did not install or enable, I ask this
List.  This is an
>>> educational resource for me.  Excuse me if I
struck a nerve.
>>> Have a new item to question. Just noticed that the
subject machine
>>> now has a new icon on the control panel - Wireless
link.  I have
>>> taken the machine apart and can not find any
wireless gadget
>>> anywhere.  Can I kill it?
>>> Best,
>>> Duncan