At 04:27 PM 11/02/2008, DHSinclair wrote:
First off I am surprised that the 'front grill' is even metal. That said, I would presume that, if metal, and, that there is a contiguous connection, that it should connect to the LOW side of any power (source) connection. Like DC(-) or AC(neu). I do not have a lot of laptop experience. How does direct wall AC interface with a laptop? I should think a wall-wort, or, some 2-pin homogenized interface (uh-oh!)
Again, you have a really good one!

If I check from front grill to the VGA port, USB port, Firewire port, or outside edge of the power jack on the laptop, the connection is contiguous. If I try from the middle pin of the power jack to the front grill, my multimeter drops from 100 to 70, which I read as a a partial connection (some resistance.) All this seems strange to me, because I would think the outside case of the laptop shouldn't be connected directly to power for safety reasons. Of course, I may be completely misunderstanding this.