> Overall a 10k or 15k rpm drive should definitely out
> win out over a 7200rpm drive regardless of the
> interface. The main idea is that sustained transfers
> from all conventional hard disks aren't capable of
> even saturating the slower interfaces much less the
> faster ones.

While this is generally true, one item most people dismiss is
firmware/strategy optimization. Firmware, zoning strategy, etc can really
make a huge difference in performance both across the board and/or for
specific access patterns. That's why the 10k Raptor is faster than most all
15k drives for single-user access patterns.

That leads to another common misconception...a number of power users believe
that because they multitask heavily, their access pattern is closer to that
of a server/multi-user...that is flat out incorrect. Even under extreme
multitasking, the I/O distribution is typically still highly localized. With
the exception of some of the absolute latest 15k drives and some of the
newest SSDs, the Raptor is almost universally faster for all single-users.
Some of the latest 7.2k drives are also now able to get close to it simply
due to their higher STR...or, the ability to read the requested sectors
after they're under the r/w head.

I just hope we see a 4th-generation Raptor soon. 150GB is feeling awfully
pedestrian anymore, and it no longer holds as commanding of a performance
lead. Still an excellent drive though...

Greg