I do agree with you that there is a large element of snake oil with power
protection and conditioning but there is also an element of truth.  Certain
devices will "dirty" household power and certain devices are sensitive to
it.  If you have ever run into ground loops or feedback in a car audio
install then you know exactly what I'm talking about.  The situation is a
lot less worse in the home (unless you happen to have a really messed up
ground) but there are some similarities.

My limit on such expenditures is always a fraction of what I am protecting.
If I have $3000 in home theater and computer gear, spending 5% on surge
protection seems reasonable, IF (and that's a big if) the products do what
they are supposed to.

If I had $20,000 in home audio separates along with my Martin Logan speakers
then I would probably think about getting a true power conditioner.  But I
don't.

-----
Brian Weeden
Technical Consultant