Technically, a smaller GPU usually means a cheaper chip. That doesn't always
translate to street prices, of course. However, given the pressure AMD's
excellent 4800-series chips are putting on nvidia, they may see fit to drop
prices as their costs decrease.

Do you really mean the dual-GPU SLI GTX 295, or the single-GPU GTX 285 that
will be based on chips with the same 55nm process? If the former, you can
forget about $300. If the latter...it's possible. Look at the 8800GTS based
on G80 vs the 8800GTS based on G92. Faster card, but was less expensive as
the G92 die cost less to manufacture.