Hah, I had no idea that proper Blu-ray sound wasn't supported over spdif. Like James, my receiver (Onkyo SR800) just does HDMI audio passthrough. I was about to be annoyed about having to go back to 7-8 analog cables from optical cable, but then I realized the receiver doesn't even support the new audio formats, so, it's more or less irrelevant!

Scott

On Mar 26, 2009, at 3:06 AM, Anthony Q. Martin wrote:

In your case, either you use multi-channel audio outs from your set- top box or you live with the regular compressed & lossy formats (DD&DTS5.1) via optical or coax.

James Maki wrote:
Most of the followup posts address ripping the Blu-ray to the harddrive to play. I was asking the question regarding a regular set top blu-ray player. If my receiver just passes the HDMI audio signal along to the HDTV, how do I
connect the audio from the blu-ray player to the receiver?

More of a thought question since I do use my computer. Some of these
gyrations sound more difficult than what you get out of them! Personally, I
use AnydvdHD to play blu-ray discs.

Jim Maki
jwm_maill...@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com [mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com ] On Behalf Of Brian Weeden
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:13 PM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] HDMI Audio Problems

Rip the Bluray to HD, re-encode the audio to FLAC and mux back into an mkv
file with the video and any subs you need.  Works great.

---------------------------
Brian Weeden
Technical Consultant
Secure World Foundation <http://www.secureworldfoundtion.org>
+1 (514) 466-2756 Canada
+1 (202) 683-8534 US

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 7:32 PM, James Maki <jwm_maill...@comcast.net >wrote:

Isn't DRM just grand! It doesn't really protect the
material, just makes it

difficult for us to use it, to enjoy what we pay for.

So how do you get tru-hd or dts-hd from a set top blu-ray
player? The HDMI

receiver passes it on to the HDTV (which is stereo). Can't
use the SPDIF

without it degrading the quality. What other options are we
left with to

process the sound? This just keeps getting better and better!

Jim Maki
jwm_maill...@comcast.net