I bought a Q6600 for $250 in March 2008.  I consider that to be a dirt cheap
price to get a processor that will meet my foreseeable needs for 3-4 years.
I bought a Radeon 4850 for $180 in Oct 2008 and it has suited me just fine.

The last game I played - Batman Arkham Asylum - ran very smooth.  And yes, I
am running a 24" LCD.  I've considered getting another 4850 and doing SLI,
but I don't really see a need at this point and I'm not sure I"m going to
get much value as opposed to waiting another 6 months and getting a whole
new card.  The next major game I will be playing a lot - Dragon Age:Origins
- will probably run just fine on my current setup.

However, I am still running a pair of Seagate SATA drives that I've had for
years (250 GB boot, 80 GB data).  So my upgrade this winter will be Windows
7 64-bit, another 4 GB of RAM (because I multitask a lot and run VMs), and a
SSD boot drive.  But I have no incentive to change my CPU.

Brian Weeden
Technical Advisor
Secure World Foundation <http://www.secureworldfoundation.org>
Montreal Office